Tuesday, June 26, 2012

To cut or to not cut...

Ever wanted a new change for summer? Tanner, thinner, going swimming more, new styles?

New styles? Sounds intriguing and refreshing to end the school year. I thought so as well.

Really, I have been going back and forth all year about whether or whether not to cut my hair short. It actually would be shorter because according to my mom, where I wanted to cut it off ( around 9 inches off) was still long.

I wanted to cut, as said before, around nine inches off so it would be at my mid shoulder/just under my shoulder. My hair was (yes notice I said 'was') at my belly button/ waist area. So mid shoulder, was a big change.

Within the past year, my cap has fallen off during some big races and affected my while finish the race...with my hair covering my face. :) Anyways, my coach has always teased me a bit about it and completely supports cutting it shorter.

As I said, I have been being fickle about it all year, not being able to decide to cut my long hair.

 Eventually, on my last day of school, I cut it. At first, I made a mark where I wanted my hair to be: a little lower than my shoulders. My hair was wet and when my mom finally cut the first chunk, it was shorter than I felt quite comfortable with, but decided I could get used to it and gave her the okay.

As she snipped away at my hair I have kept close, my head got lighter and lighter with the weight  taken off (my hair).

My hair was so damaged at the ends and once it was finished, my mom remarked that it looked so much healthier. I agreed. One thing that we overlooked is when hair drys, in shortens considerably. So as it dried off and I straightened it, we both realized that, wow, that was a lot more than just below-shoulder.

I, again, agreed.

At the moment I couldn't decide if I liked it or it was just too different, Throughout the day I got used to it and even today, I am still considering if I miss it. It will grow back eventually.

I got a lot of comments regarding about how much people liked my hair throughout the next two days though so people said that they would miss it.

So, who knows? I may keep it this length.

Now coloring?

It may damage your hair but it is important to take care of your hair. I am wondering if I should dye all my hair darker then add some honey and auburn/red highlights, but I don't really know. Making them permanent, can have consequences. But whats the goods in making it go away after a certain amount of washes?

This takes a great amount of thought process before doing, but its going to be a new year. Take some risks to find out what is and looks best for you.

Signing off,
SeattleSwimGirl waiting for our summer sun and heat to extinguish this rain, wet, cold weather.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice and thoughtful post! You definitely win in the post competition. Why don't we try some highlights and go from there?

    ReplyDelete